Mar 8, 2008

A BETTER WORLD

I have admitted on many occasions that I am not a smart man nor am I a wise man, this my friends is fact.

My wife tends to get upset with me when I say that, and I have never understood why. I'm not saying I'm dumb, I'm just saying I'm not smart.

Well, anyway that's neither here nor there, this starts with my search for something to read.

I was looking for something insightful and intelligent to read.

I was looking for something of depth beyond he/she screwed me and now I'm pissed.

Being fairly new to the drama, disputes and wars of and among bloggers I wanted to read something that would for all purposes make me think.

I read a couple of things that made the brain start firing out some thoughts. It was actually a very good feeling knowing that I can still have some pretty deep thoughts running through the same brain that can name most of the Justice League along with 75% of the Smurfs and a few Fraggles.

So this is what I have come up with. That there are basically two groups of people standing forever on the battle lines of this world.

Why must battle lines be drawn anyway? I mean whatever happened to loving your neighbor? What happened to all men created equal? What happened to the phrase "your fellow man"?

According to the bible we're all technically brothers. If you're not into the bible but into evolution, than aren't we one big tribe separated at half past the dawn of time?

But instead we all seem to live in this mode of thinking...

Those that are ignorant, hateful and violent towards (fill in the blank) and those that are tolerant, accepting and loving towards (fill in the blank).

You know I honestly don't understand this. Because when you break it down it goes like this...

Those that are ignorant, hateful and violent towards homosexuals and those that are tolerant, accepting and loving towards homosexuals.

Those that are ignorant, hateful and violent towards blacks and those that are tolerant, accepting and loving towards blacks.

Those that are ignorant, hateful and violent towards Jews and those that are tolerant, accepting and loving towards Jews.

Those that are ignorant, hateful and violent towards men and those that are tolerant, accepting and loving towards men.

Those that are ignorant, hateful and violent towards Americans and those that are tolerant, accepting and loving towards Americans.

And it goes on and on.

Those that are ignorant, hateful and violent towards (fill in the blank) and those that are tolerant, accepting and loving towards (fill in the blank).

This is sadly the core of humanity.

The fact that we are not happy unless you are on one side or the other. You're either for or against whatever topic you wish champion or attack. We must be at war with someone or something.

Of course if you choose to not be either, you have no convictions or strength of character.

I guess what confuses me the most is who do you condemn or praise?

Do you condemn the guy who has his dog fight for profit or fun or do you condemn an organization that not only condones but has actually praised the fact that violence is used against their fellow man for the sake of the dog?

Do you condemn the Christian who with a fevered passion and religious zeal shoots at or blows up an abortion clinic or do you condemn the Muslim who with a fevered passion and religious zeal shoots at or blows up a building?

Do you praise the man who claims to be a speaker for injustice but he himself does the same intolerant things that he's preaching against?

Do you praise the man with religious convictions, who points us along the moral path when he himself is found at a motel 6 straying off that path himself?

There were two men who preached change. One through peace and conviction and the other took a more militant approach? But if my history serves me right...didn't they meet the same bitter end? Did they not both have their lives stolen by a man with a gun?

Or should we listen to the musician who never claimed to be a great man. Nor did he claim to be a good man. But he did try to better himself, those around him and the world by using his one great talent. He was a songwriter, and he wrote a great song explaining such a wonderful world...and all we had to do was imagine.

Sadly on this subject I gotta go with the musician.

I prefer to imagine the better world.

You see I know that if enough people start to imagine a better world, there are some people who will go beyond imagining and go into creating a better world.

Who knows maybe...just maybe your kids, kids, kids, kids will have a chance at being a better people living in a better world. Because for a better world to exist, we need better people to run it and better people to live in it.


Currently listening:Horse of a Different Color
By Big & Rich

No comments: