Mar 11, 2008

THE EVOLUTION OF MUSICAL TASTE

I was born a poor glam child (hair bands to you Johnny/Joanie come latelies) and that is where my poor heart strays to time and time again.

I was first introduced into the glam scene back in 6th grade (thank you so VERY MUCH TWISTED SISTER) and since I had Dee Snider pics taped to the inside of my desk, I knew I was on the cutting edge of cool.

Sadly, the cutting edge was a dull razor that couldn't scratch paper. But I'm digesting...oops I mean digressing.

So here I am...listening to the wicked tunes of TS and all of a sudden, I come into school one day and Dee is gone.

Shredded.

He's confetti covering the inside of my desk.

I of course do what any rational grade school kid would do...I ran to the teacher and said someone had vandalized my desk.

Of course there was a major inquiry (and much to my dismay, the FBI did NOT show up...lazy frikken lazies) by Mrs. Parish (that be the teacher's name), and fellow student named Dan confessed that it was he who had turned my Dee shrine to a New Years Eve party tool.

Dan was then ordered to replace my Circus Magazine pin-ups.

And he did...sort of.

He replaced Twisted Sisters front man with pin-ups of his favorite band Motley Crue. All of a sudden I had all these pictures of some guy I had never seen before (who looked like a girl...sans breasts).

Since I was in mourning over the loss of my prized treasures, I complained some more, that I had no clue who this guy was.

Well boys and girls, Dan was ordered to introduce me to this "new" band, and if I didn't find it an adequate replacement, that the three of us would come up with a reasonable punishment.

I can say that that particular action never came into play. Dan lent me 2 cassette tapes (yes I AM that old) and upon first listening I knew that I had found my new voice.

I was listening to Motley Crue for the first time, and by god they knew me. All the angst was mine...all the power chords rang true to this baby-metal head. There was never a more pure form of adolescent rebellion rock then Motley Crue, and I reveled in it.

To this very day, I can honestly say that of all my CD's, tapes and albums, the only ones that I have multiple copies in all formats are Motley Crue.

It wasn't until many years later that I started to listening to music that did NOT come out in the 80's.

Here's a simple time line

80's glam-- Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Ratt, Poison, Tigertailz (just to name a few)

90's still glam/thrash/heavy metal--Metallica, Anthrax, Queensryche, Crimson Glory (just to name a few)

late 90's grunge/country--Pearl Jam, Mother Love Bone, Jane's Addiction, Garth Brooks, Mark Chestnut (just to name a few)

The early Zero years Classic Rock--Led Zepplin, the Doors, New York Dolls, Kiss (just to name a few)

currently "whatever moves me"-- these are cd's, mp3's, and cassette's that are a click or button away from being played at any second. NIN "Ghosts 1", Verbatim "Pizza Party EP", Black Flag "Loose Nut", Glen Danzig "Black Aria", Andrew W.K. "Close Calls With Brick Walls", Garth Brooks "Ultimate Hits"

No comments: