May 24, 2008

A QUESTION ABOUT TELEVISION VIEWING HABITS

Originally posted as a comment on Posted on "Wednesday April 23, 2008, 3:55 PM"


It was a decent little comment that I decided to save it for those days when I am feeling a bit on the lazy side. This is one of those days.


I am not an intelligent TV viewer, and despite my own delusions I'm not that intelligent to begin with (if you read my words, that comes across pretty well).

I stopped watching the news regularly on TV about 19 years ago. I will sit and read a book when Sue decides to watch the news and on occasion I will glance up at the TV.

Usually resulting in my heart getting torn from my chest. I'm tired of seeing tragedy, horror, hatred and indifference in my community and the world around me displayed at 5PM, 6PM and 10PM. And then again at 2AM for the rebroadcast and at 5AM and 6AM.

Or I get some scare tactics/shock journalism, telling me that me or my own could be dying right now.

My wife enjoys the History Channel, TLC, Discovery, Style, HGTV and the news.

I'm the Cartoon Network, Sci-fi, Nickelodeon, WWE and Showtime Network kind of guy. I want to be entertained by shows where the good guys win and the bad guys lose. I want to see the happy ending, the long lost lovers/family/friends reunited. So I go for sheer entertainment when it comes to TV.

At least once a day my wife will mention some news related issue. Then she has to bring me up to date on that particular issue. Normally it's some awful tragedy that, in all honesty, I would have lived my life just fine not knowing about it. Other times it just pisses me off or worse. It adds fuel to the simple fact that I really don't like 80% of the people that inhabit my planet.

I'm not an intelligent TV viewer, but I'm very OK with that. I never claimed to be intelligent.

No comments: