Jun 12, 2008

MOTHER NATURE IS BEAUTIFUL WHEN SHE'S ANGRY

the images have very little to do with the blog other than to illustrate how something scary and humbling can be breathtaking at the same time.

I'm sure some of you have heard about the rain and flooding that has happened here in the "Dairy State."

Season and I were at my mothers on Monday and Wednesday.

On Wednesday we all watched the news footage of the damage and destruction that had occurred.

I sat there in complete awe of the events that were transpiring right before my eyes.

At the moment they were showing the footage of the homes, land and roads being washed away from the Lake Delton area.

Which was then followed by an aerial view of the flooded areas and then this statement slipped out "Oh my God, that's amazing."



My mother immediately jumped down my throat, telling me about how heartless I am and that this was not a time to make jokes.

I was stunned. I had no clue what she was talking about. I looked at Season and she asked me "What was amazing? Was it the footage? That they caught it all on film, what was amazing?"

"What do you think I was commenting on? The damage? That's tragic, and I can't help feeling so bad for everybody that loses their homes and all their belongings. I was talking about nature itself. It was the raw power of nature that amazed me."



I continued with "Nature doesn't care about or judge anything. Everything gets treated equally. And when natures pissed off, there's nothing anyone or anything can do about it. You are looking at what mother nature has done to people" looking directly at my wife, "what about all the ecosystems that will be permanently damaged with all that debris, garbage and toxic chemicals that are in those homes. What about all those animals that you love so much? What happens when this flooding affects THEIR homes? You were crying about a bird that got pummeled to death by the rain. You even got upset with me because I said 'That's nature and it's doing what it always does. It deals with itself without mercy or prejudice. It just does what it does."

I turned back to my mom "All I was doing is looking at how small we are compared to what the Earth can do to us at any given moment. We build these roads, that are washed away in the blink of an eye. We erect homes that can be taken away and erased from existence in the span of heartbeats. Mother Nature can be unforgiving, relentless and still be amazing."



"We look at flowers and trees and go 'That's so pretty.' We can look at wild animals and go 'Ooh how graceful and beautiful.'"

"Yet you complain about the weeds, which in their own right are pretty, that are growing in your lawn and a couple weeks ago you were talking about cutting down some of the trees in your backyard."

"And when animals hunt, kill and eat the animals they need to survive, you have to look away."



"Nature is just what it is. Nothing more nothing less. I am just sitting here looking at the beauty of this unstoppable force. There's nothing more complex in it's simplicity. We survive on this planet only through the good grace of Mother Nature. Because in all honesty, she can take us out at any time."

Season just looked at me and said "OK crazy man are you done?" and my mom just gave me that "you so crazy and I stopped listening a long time ago" look.

It seems that I get that reaction a lot lately.

But I still stand by my original statement. Seeing what Nature can do to us is totally amazing and utterly terrifying.

And that in itself is amazing.

No comments: