Jul 5, 2009

TOP 10 FAVORITE SUPER HEROES

While back my ex and I were running around wasting time...I mean running errands and I was in charge of the radio. Which pretty much means that I was "radio hopping" more than an over caffeinated rabbit on cocaine (I stand firm with my belief that if it is a crappy song, I refuse to sit through it).

Anyways, one of our local rock stations is doing this top 10 songs for _______ (the blanks stand for things like movie themes, arena anthems etc. etc.) and that sparked an idea which became the blog that I am sharing with you now.

INTERMISSION
What can I say...I like "Top Lists."

I'm that guy that goes through the AFI's list just to see how many of those movies I have seen. I do the same thing with Rolling Stone's and VH1's "top lists."

Like I said, I like "Top Lists."
END OF INTERMISSION

So that got this waste of air's brain working and I said to myself "Jose, why don't you make a top list?"

I answered "Because what happens if people don't like my list, I don't know if I could live with that."

I slapped that Jose and said "It's your damn blog! Your opinions! If people disagree than they disagree! Do you have any clue how many people disagree with you? HUH DO YOU?!?!"

Meekly I responded "no."

"Well than what do you have to lose? You were married so you have no dignity or pride, because your ex has that hanging from her key chain right next to your testicles, so you got nothing to lose, RIGHT?"

"I guess so." I answered.

"Well than there you go. Start off small. Why don't you start off with you top 10 super heroes and why they are you top 10. And as time goes on build from there."

"Hey, that's not a bad idea at all."

So after having that multiple personality moment I decided to do just that. So here are my Top 10 super heroes (according to me) and I hope you enjoy.


10. Firearm (Alec Swan)





He wasn't really a superhero. He was a normal guy with a big gun. His job was to track down bad guys with super powers. This was the first comic book I read, where the main character talked directly to the reader. After his series ended, there was a mini series where Alec Swan was a backup story and it was like a friend had come to visit for a little while. Of all the comic books I have sold this series is still safely in my collection.



09. The Incredible Hulk (Bruce Banner)




There were so many times in my childhood that I wish I could get stronger to protect my family and myself. The Incredible Hulk was the epitome of those moments of fear, anger and pain where one who was meek and mild mannered could, for a little while, fight back.



08. Zauriel




He was an angel who became a super hero because he was in love with a human. Yeah I know, this is just another cliche but to me it was very cool. And he had wings!!!



07. Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner)




The Green Lantern has a long and illustrious history that starts back in July of 1940 and is still going strong today. There have been many different and interesting characters that have carried the mantle of the Green Lantern. When I got into comics in my 20something, Kyle Rayner was also starting his reign as the Green Lantern. It was just really cool to be able to start reading a comic book with an established hero, and at the same time be completely new.



06. The Night Man (Johnny Domino)





The Night Man also known as Saxophone player Johnny Domino was sort of like the Ultraverse's version of Batman. His only power was that he could "hear evil thoughts", although he rarely knew where they originated from. Of course he had one other talent, because of a car accident, he had a piece of metal lodged in his brain, that kept him from needing sleep. This was one of those really fun books to read, because as he faced new obstacles, he would adapt. For example, he added a cape because he got cold during a stakeout. It was those little things that made this book tons of fun.



05. Impulse (Bart Allen)





This comic was just FUN FUN FUN. I have always a soft spot in my heart for speedsters, but Bart was just one of those characters that from day one, had my complete and undivided attention.



04. Batman (Bruce Wayne)





Let's not kid ourselves. Batman has always been cool. From the days of the Caped Crusader and the Dynamic Duo straight on through to the Dark Knight. Batman is always just one very cool character.



03. Captain America (Steve Rogers)





Captain America to me is a lot like Batman here. He has always been very very cool. The costume, the shield, the strength and agility...duuuude!!!



02. Aquaman (Arthur Curry, Orin)





I have always been a fan of Aquaman. Since his early days of throwing "hard water" projectiles and riding giant seahorses straight up to the time that they had his left hand eaten by piranhas. I have always been a poor swimmer yet I love the water. How great would that be knowing that the one thing you never have to worry about is drowning. Add the fact that he's a king, he's strong, he's surly and he's telepathic, made me wish I could be Aquaman...even with the orange and green costume.



01. Superman (Clark Kent, Kal-El)





Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound...Look up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Superman! He's a true american legend...possibly one of the last great characters to be created. He has the powers of a god. Yet, he fights, protects and works alongside mere mortals, never judging. He does the right thing because it's the right thing to do. Sure he can fly and he's strong and you can't forget about all the different vision and breath powers, yet in the end, all he is, is nothing but a simple farm boy. In essence Superman is hope. A beacon of light not to lead but to show you the way to a better place.

Yeah, heh, can you tell I am a fan of Superman?

Well with all that said thank you for taking the time to read this, and I'll be back soon.



Currently listening:

Brain Drain
By Ramones
Release date: 2008-09-30

No comments: