Jan 23, 2010

MOVIE REVIEWS 6

You know what has always bugged me?  Movie reviews that take a "I'm so much smarter than you" route.  Every movie review I have ever read takes this approach.  They sit there and with a fine tooth comb and condemn every aspect of the movie or they praise the intellectual aspects of this cinematic experience.

Me, I just want a simple review.  Did the movie achieve it's goal.  How was the acting?  Was the script/story any good.  Was the movie entertaining.  Add a positive comment.  Add a negative comment.  Finally make a simple scale and rate that movie accordingly.

It's not asking for much.

Reading a movie review shouldn't have to be a chore.

So let's make that scale

   1.  Punch me in the FACE, because that's gonna be better than this movie.
   2.  I will never watch the movie again
   3.  Did I actually pay to see this?
   4.  I wish I saw it on cable.
   5.  I'll only watch it if its free on cable.
   6.  Can't find the remote...so I guess I'll watch this
   7.  This is better then the other stuff that's on.
   8.  I will watch the movie again
   9.  I CAN'T WAIT to watch the movie again
 10.  This movie WILL be owned, in any form because it's that damn good!!.

Now let's review some movies...

The Six Wives Of Henry Lefay (aka My Dad's Six Wives)


This movie starts off kind of slow but after about 10 minutes it was really hard to keep from smiling, giggling, and from full blown laughing at the humor and situations in this movie. It was tasteful, silly and wacky. It had moments of sheer outrage and moments of complete tenderness.

All the characters were believable in their dysfunction. Some of the best comedic acting I have seen in a while. The story was well written (even a little predictable) but it was well paced and it even had a good plot.

I want to call it a romantic comedy, but it seemed more like real life, in the way that family reunions and a holiday get together start and end. Sometimes nothing much happens, and other times it's complete chaos.

It is a fun movie. It's not a bad chick flick. A pretty decent family movie (albeit, they do show 2 naked bottoms).

8/10


Alvin And The Chipmunks: The Squeakuel

This movie is just about the importance of families. Done with some Chipmunk Flair and some Chippettes style. It's a nice wholesome family movie with a lot of great CGI.  Don't expect anything, and you won't be let down.  It is exactly what it is.

7/10


Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

In a movie that is completely silly and zany, this had something that few movies today have.  It had solid believeable characters, complete with flaws and strengths.  It had a strong, well paced story.  It had moments of tendernesss and vulnerability.  And this my friends is the real kick in the pants.  The silly and zany moments, were used to move the story forward and was essential in character growth.

The actors and actresses were perfect in bringing life to this absurd story.  And I am happy they did so.

Yes the movie is funny.  Yes it is entertaining.  Yes it is a pleasant surprise.  It does all that while giving something entertaining to the kids AND to the adults.

9/10


My Sister's Keeper


This was a little difficult to watch. The reason..the actors and actresses were amazing. The emotions they expressed, at times, were almost tangible. The story itself is a fairly predictable one, although the characters were perfectly cast, and and the filming of each viewpoint really gave the movie an emotional depth.  This movie will tug at you heartstrings, will stoke the anger inside, and it will at times let loose laughter from the soul.  It does all this as the occasional tears slowly fall from your eyes.

10/10




Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: