Feb 16, 2010

MOVIE REVIEWS 9

You know what has always bugged me?  Movie reviews that take a "I'm so much smarter than you" route.  Every movie review I have ever read takes this approach.  They sit there and with a fine tooth comb and condemn every aspect of the movie or they praise the intellectual aspects of this cinematic experience.

Me, I just want a simple review.  Did the movie achieve it's goal.  How was the acting?  Was the script/story any good.  Was the movie entertaining.  Add a positive comment.  Add a negative comment.  Finally make a simple scale and rate that movie accordingly.

It's not asking for much.

Reading a movie review shouldn't have to be a chore.

So let's make that scale

   1.  Punch me in the FACE, because that's gonna be better than this movie.
   2.  I will never watch the movie again
   3.  Did I actually pay to see this?
   4.  I wish I saw it on cable.
   5.  I'll only watch it if its free on cable.
   6.  Can't find the remote...so I guess I'll watch this
   7.  This is better then the other stuff that's on.
   8.  I will watch the movie again
   9.  I CAN'T WAIT to watch the movie again
 10.  This movie WILL be owned, in any form because it's that damn good!!.

Now let's review some movies...


Tooth Fairy

It's fun, silly and moral; all the elements that have been seen in almost every family comedy made. Dwayne Johnson and Julie Andrews have a great chemistry. It was their interactions that brought out the big laughs in me. This move really is nothing very special, but that never stops it from being entertaining and fun. My only real complaint is that the Rock's character never really gets likable. Other than that, it really is a one time watch, and not that important of a watch either.

6/10


District 9

As the movie starts, I felt kind of cheated. It feels like a B-movie, with the cheap "jokes" and the stereotypical characters. Then at some point; the movie changed. It becomes a a dramatic movie with compelling characters. It was a perfect blend of sci-fi, drama and comedy. The story was a tad generic, but with the believability of the characters and the near perfect storytelling it really drags you in and delivers a great movie. In my humble opinion, we need more movies like this.

10/10


Legion

This is an odd movie to review. It kind of starts right in the middle of the story, and as the story progresses you get all of the information you need to understand the storyline. But it doesn't give you all the answers. It leaves a lot of unanswered questions.

Usually this is annoys but, for me at least, it really works for this film. The acting is a little stiff at times, and the pacing of the movie is very deliberate, but at some points it does feel like it drags a bit. The special effects were amazing. Overall I enjoyed this movie, but I know it will not be everybody's cup of tea.

8/10


Gigantic

This is one of those quirky character drive movies that really doesn't go anywhere or say anything.  Every character is surreal to the point where they seem like genuine people.

It's a romantic comedy, filled with quirks, pops, and crackles.  I know that doesn't make much sense but neither did this movie.  Yet for some strange reason, I loved it.

9/10

No comments: