Dec 27, 2009

MOVIE REVIEWS 4

You know what has always bugged me?  Movie reviews that take a "I'm so much smarter than you" route.  Every movie review I have ever read takes this approach.  They sit there and with a fine tooth comb and condemn every aspect of the movie or they praise the intellectual aspects of this cinematic experience.

Me, I just want a simple review.  Did the movie achieve it's goal.  How was the acting?  Was the script/story any good.  Was the movie entertaining.  Add a positive comment.  Add a negative comment.  Finally make a simple scale and rate that movie accordingly.

It's not asking for much.

Reading a movie review shouldn't have to be a chore.

So let's make that scale

   1.  Punch me in the FACE, because that's gonna be better than this movie.
   2.  I will never watch the movie again
   3.  Did I actually pay to see this?
   4.  I wish I saw it on cable.
   5.  I'll only watch it if its free on cable.
   6.  Can't find the remote...so I guess I'll watch this
   7.  This is better then the other stuff that's on.
   8.  I will watch the movie again
   9.  I CAN'T WAIT to watch the movie again
 10.  This movie WILL be owned, in any form because it's that damn good!!.

Now let's review some movies...

Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince

First of all, yes this is a good movie, and no it's not as good as the book. But there's no way it could have been..

With that said, finally this movie franchise has finally "grown up." The acting was good, the storyline was very deliberately paced and thought out very well. The characters, like the storyline, have all matured. And they finally made the loss of a character mean something. It's a very dark movie and not really meant for the young, but for the first time I'm actually looking forward for the next chapter of this story. It's definitely worth seeing and very enjoyable, as long as the readers of the books leave their preconceived notions and biases at the door.

8/10


NINJA

This movie is only for the fans of the late Saturday Night or Sunday Afternoon kung-fu movies.  And I guess I am not one of those fans (and I really thought I was).  I wanted to enjoy the movie.  I wanted to have that "wow" factor kick in, but alas it was not to be.  This movie is nothing special.  The story and plot are weak and left wanting.  The martial arts are "neat" but not a single action sequence or actor really stands out.  It's just not a very memorable film.

This movie gets a 3/10.

The Hangover

This movie is funny. But that's mainly because it's totally a guy flick. Which is a refreshing change. The humor in the movie is totally "R" rated which is also a nice change. So many movies tame down the humor to get a "PG" or "PG13" rating that the humor gets lost. This movie is wrong and irreverent, crude and low brow, witty and profoundly amusing. In other words, it's a comedy that wasn't afraid to be just funny. Some may not like the humor..luckily I am not one of them.

And watch out for Zach Galifianakis who damn near single handed steals the show.  I have never seen such "out of the blue" comments made with such conviction and sincerity.

This may not be for everyone  but I give it a 10/10.

Avatar

Aesthetically speaking, this movie is absolutely stunning. The CGI was used very well to make a believable world with wonders and dangers. The virtually seamless integration between live action and CGI was amazing.

But I have seen this story before. I saw it in Dancing with Wolves. I saw it in Braveheart. It was even in Star Wars Episode One.

Except that Cameron gives it a "Going Green" twist (which sadly is an ongoing theme in way too many movies).

With all that said it was still entertaining and quite a fun ride. It's a story that's been told more than once in many different genres, just this time it has a beautiful backdrop to go with it.

I stand by my rating of 8/10


Powered by ScribeFire.



No comments: