Mar 25, 2010

DISAPPOINTMENT

 ORIGINALLY POSTED 6/28/2008

When I was much younger (and Spanish was my main language) there was a restaurant that we passed quite often.  Whenever we did, I would begin to giggle.

It was a Tex-Mex restaurant named Chi Chi-s.

Why did this make me giggle?

I guess before I can continue, I need to give a tiny little language lesson.  In Spanish the word chi chi's is a slang term meaning boobies.  Which is one of my favorite English words...I'm just saying is all.

Because of this auspicious name, this building became a place of great interest and importance.


Now we fast forward our tale to 1988 and I was 16 years old.

A friend named Chris regaled to me a wonderful tidbit of information.  "Jose" he said "last night we went to Chi Chi's for dinner and it was awesome the f..."

Trying to contain my excitement, I asked if they allowed teens in there?  (Of course in hindsight...)

"Yeah, why wouldn't they?"  That's right Chris, keep me in suspense...

"Dude we are going right now!"  As I proceeded to drag him to his car.

Chris was looking at me like I was insane, "Dude, are you OK?"

"Yeah man, I AWESOME...so let's get going!"

With an ounce of trepidation he said OK, and then we were off.

I was stoked.

I was finally going to the promised land.

I was ready for this moment.

I was finally at the restaurant called boobies.  Or Chi-chi's to my American friends.

We walked in and I immediately began my search.  I looked near and far.

HUH?

I looked at Chris "Dude?  Umm, where are the girls?"

Chris stared at me, confusion evident in his eyes.

The hostess sat us by the windows.

"Um Chris, there are girls here right?" as I began to notice that there were people of all types sitting at tables and in booths.  Eating something that resembled Mexican food.

Some guy asked what we wanted to drink.  Chris and I asked for a Coke.

I looked at the menu.

I looked at Chris, and asked him, "Why is this place awesome?"

"Huh?"

"Earlier you said 'Jose last night we went to Chi Chi's for dinner and it was awesome the f..' what makes this place awesome?"

"They have the best Mexican food in town."

"WHAT?!?!"

"Yeah the food here is great!"

That's when the disappointment sunk in.

Chris asked me what was wrong?

I told Chris what chi chi's meant in Spanish, and he laughed.

And laughed.

And Laughed.

"Well that sure explains why you freaked out when I said I was here."

Meekly I responded with a barely audible "yeah"

He laughed a little while longer.

After catching his breath he says "Well let's order our food, you'll love it."

When the food arrived disappointment number two hit me.  The food absolutely sucked.

Chris was in hog heaven, but when you get homemade Mexican food on a semi regular basis, restaurant food always falls a bit shy.

So we ate.

Then we paid.

Then we left.

I silently vowed that I would never again would I fall for a name like that again.

Later that year my cousin would take me to Hooters and to Juarez, Mexico.  Where again disappointment would rear it's ugly head.  But that's a story for later.

No comments: