Mar 19, 2010

I'M ONE OF THE REASONS THERE'S A WHOLE IN THE OZONE LAYER

I was having an 80's flashback moment.

Today there will be a video from one of my favorite bands from the glam days.  For some reason I have a lot of problems saying "Hair Bands".

Yes my friends, cohorts and those undecided, this is the music of my youth.  Well to be more precise, the age 7 1/2 to 18 1/2.  That was me during the 80's.

That was when I learned two very important things that would truly save my frayed ends of sanity.  I was an avid reader, but during this time, I learned that I could escape the world I was barely enduring by burying my nose in a book.  The second thing I learned...music allowed me to express my feelings like nothing before.  And I attacked both with a fevered passion.  Motley Crue had songs for an angst filled youth.  Poison had the songs for the free spirited.  Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot and Def Leppard filled everything else in.  My love of music had been born in a trial by fire and still helps me say things that I don't have words for.

Don't get me wrong, I knew about 90% of the music I listened to wasn't artistic or technical.  What it had was a great party vibe with a never grow up attitude.  Hell...we were the Youth Gone Wild.  We wanted Nothin' But A Good Time.  We Couldn't Drive 55.  When they said C'mon Feel The Noise, I tell you we felt THAT NOISE.  We Jumped, Smoked In The Boys Room, went Round And Round, we were Hot For Teacher and we knew the person who Gave Love A Bad Name,

There was an occasional need for angry music (Thrash, Speed, Punk, Industrial) and that came came about from this time period.  Thanks to classmates, I was introduced to Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Anthrax, Metallica, DRI, Nayked Raygun, Skinny Puppy, Misfits and a whole slew of others.  Suddenly I realized that some of the new things I was being introduced to had actual musicianship.  This blew me away.

But it was the glam bands that truly had my heart.  I was an Aquanet, eyeliner and cut up jeans and t-shirts kid.  Yeah I was pretty much a true child of the 80's.

But nowadays when I'm in this awesome mood with no worries and no witnesses, I'll pull out the old CD's (and sometimes vinyls and cassettes) and just rock out doing spins, jump kicks and jamming away on my air guitar or my air drums while belting out every lyric like I'm in an arena filled with screaming fans.  The veil of delusion I wear works wonders when it comes to rockin' out!!!

This is Tigertailz.  They rock.  Well at least to me, they still rock.  Enjoy. 




Oh yeah, you can mock if you like, I can take it...now.  Not so much back then.  But today...today it's cool.

No comments: